A Birthday Breakfast Party

When it came time to choose a theme for my little London’s 5th birthday — I knew I wanted to do a birthday breakfast and decided it would be fun to make it also a pajama party. Since she’s a little young for a traditional sleepover, it was a nice twist and made for a really unique birthday!

birthday breakfast

My inspiration for the color palette was non-peril sprinkles — they just scream BIRTHDAY!

pajama party

The party was on her actual birthday (2 days before Christmas!) and it was fun to wake her up with new “birthday pajamas” and a darling pancake necklace (I found it on Etsy here).

birthday breakfast party

The breakfast table was set for 12 little ones and I made it bright & cheery — just like a birthday morning should be!

activities | birthday breakfast

I designed simple paper placemats  for each child to color (FREE printable link at bottom of the post!). This kept their little hands busy while the parents greeted one another and grabbed a cup of coffee.

Coffee, creamer, chocolate spoons, birthday bark and fruit made up a little “rise & shine” station for the moms & dads.

cereal - breakfast party

The real sugary fun took place over at the cereal buffet and birthday pancakes station! Loved the colorful birthday banner from A To Z Celebrations (and it matched the table runner she made perfectly)!

cereal buffet

All the sugary cereal a kid could dream of — a true birthday treat for our little one! Served in these darling kraft paper bowls. I stamped the wooden spoons with “Happy Birthday” which was an easy way to add something special. The vintage milk carafes were a great thrift-store find.

Mini yogurt parfaits, funfetti pancakes and flavored syrups were all out for grabs. The Mr. whipped up pancakes and bacon to order outside since it was such a gorgeous December morning.

These vintage syrup dispensers were also an Etsy find — and I LOVE having them in my collection now :).

breakfast party

My other favorite element was the breakfast “dessert” table. Donuts and cinnamon rolls that delighted every kid (and several parents)!

It was just so much fun to put together! The donut pops stood up perfectly in these bright containers from Blumbox (they have new inserts which made it super easy).

And these little edible toppers from Edible Details … can you say, PERFECT? I could not get enough of these darling stacks of pancakes — they were so adorable! And the muffin toppers matched our invite perfectly, just so cute!

Activities and Games: We let the kids make cereal necklaces and also played a pancake relay game.

pancake cake

The birthday pancake-cake looked like a stack of giant pancakes, but was really a cake! It was a little tough to convince the birthday girl that we weren’t serving more pancakes (that yes, this was an actual CAKE), but once she tasted it — it was a hit! This is the recipe I used.

For favors, we sent the sugar-overloaded guests home with something that would pick them up after their (inevitable) afternoon crash … Fruity Pebbles rice crispy treats. Oh yes, try them — they are so good!

pajama party

And the birthday girl, awe so sweet :). A big thanks to all those who helped with her party, attended her special day (bright & early!) and to those reading now — thank you!

** I got so many requests for the placemats I designed that I am sharing FREE downloads and have included ages 1-6. Feel free to print and use at your own Birthday Breakfast party! Download the signs & placemats here.

For a look back at London’s 4th birthday, check out her cowgirl party.

Invites, Paper Elements, Styling | Thoughtfully Simple

Cinnamon Roll & Muffin Toppers | Edible Details

Table Runner & Birthday Banner | A To Z Celebrations

Party Rentals | Allie’s Rentals

Holders for Donut Pops | Blumebox

Cups, bowls, coffee dispenser, spoons, parfait cups | Garnish

Share on FacebookPin it on PinterestShare on Twitter

69 Comments on A Birthday Breakfast Party

1. Melissa C
    February 2, 2012 at 5:29 pm (3 years ago)

Adorable Party!

2. Rebekah {A Blissful Nest}
    February 2, 2012 at 6:32 pm (3 years ago)

Tori, this is too darn cute! I love your attention to detail. And your daughter is gorgeous!

3. nancy pfeifer
    February 2, 2012 at 6:33 pm (3 years ago)

wow! everything looks beautiful…love this theme!! so creative :) thank you for including me :)

4. Your Hostess
    February 2, 2012 at 9:27 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you all for the kind words — made my night!

5. Val
    February 2, 2012 at 11:38 pm (3 years ago)

This is one of the most creative get-togethers I’ve ever seen. I love the theme and all your cute touches on everything. Truly adorable and fun. :)

6. Stephanie
    February 6, 2012 at 8:17 pm (3 years ago)

such a cute party.. love love all of the details! I have to ask you … where did you find the glass bottles for the milk? I have been looking everywhere!

Thanks :)

7. Tori
    February 7, 2012 at 3:56 pm (3 years ago)

Stephanie, the glass milk bottles were a thrift store find!

8. Alejandra Morin {The Marshmallow Studio}
    February 7, 2012 at 4:11 pm (3 years ago)

You are SOOOO creative Tori. What a neat idea and very unique. This is a party I can totally see me doing one day for my little boys. Thank you for the sweet inspiration. Also, OMG Edible Details and A to Zebra Celebrations are also mega talented… they really nailed it with their fun additions! Great Party!!

9. Brittany @GreyGrey Designs
    February 9, 2012 at 5:35 pm (3 years ago)

This is SO ADORABLE!!!!! I want a pancake party now! And Brittany killed it with those toppers! Fabulous!

10. Larissa
    February 13, 2012 at 10:22 pm (3 years ago)

I love this idea for preschool age kids. The pancakes with sprinkles, and the pancake relay are so creative.

11. Lissa (Bellenza)
    February 14, 2012 at 2:13 am (3 years ago)

What a darling party! You tied every detail into the theme so cleverly…and adorably!

12. Printable Party Invites
    February 16, 2012 at 3:27 am (3 years ago)

I have joined many theme parties but first time come to know about Pajama party.Its simply great! Very unique idea for breakfast party.Thanks for sharing.

13. Cindy
    February 17, 2012 at 8:47 am (3 years ago)

So cute! We had a pancakes and pajama party for my little girl last year too! And now, she says she wants a pajama party every year…so wonderful to have new inspiration in case we really do have one again ;)

14. mara
    March 3, 2012 at 4:31 pm (3 years ago)

so nice idea!!

15. Misty
    March 13, 2012 at 10:55 am (3 years ago)

I love this idea, do you have anything you can email for the signs you put in the picture frames?

16. Jen B
    March 21, 2012 at 11:58 am (2 years ago)

Just curious how you made your placemats? Love them, love all your ideas you are super creative! I am doing the same theme but for a two year old so hope it goes as well haha!

17. Kristen
    March 22, 2012 at 8:12 pm (2 years ago)

love the placemats too? howd you do them???? anyway to share your file? I’m doing a two year old party.

18. Your Hostess
    March 23, 2012 at 11:17 am (2 years ago)

Thank you ALL for your kind words! I’ve just uploaded the birthday signs and placemats so you can download them for FREE. I’ve made placemats for ages 1-6. Feel free to print and use at your birthday breakfast parties! Get them here: http://www.scribd.com/my_document_collections/3545438

19. LaVonne
    March 23, 2012 at 11:30 am (2 years ago)

I just saw the link to this party…guess I missed it the first time!
    Anyway – LOVE this idea & party details! Thanks for sharing the printables too! :)

20. Misty
    March 28, 2012 at 11:05 am (2 years ago)

Thank you so much!!

21. Carrie
    April 28, 2012 at 5:34 pm (2 years ago)

I just love this party!!! What an awesome mommy you are. I do have a question though, I absolutely love the fonts for the signs, what fonts did you use? You have an a,aging talent by the way.

22. Tara
    May 3, 2012 at 6:38 am (2 years ago)

What a great party! I was wondering what fonts, formatting for the dots, etc. you used? I was able to get the signs you posted but I would like to make some additional signs. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

23. Marisa
    May 10, 2012 at 6:13 pm (2 years ago)

I too would love to know about the font and program you used for your signs. We are doing a breakfast for the parent volunteers at our school in a few weeks and would love to put some cute touches out like the donut sign. Love all of the ones you used just without the birthday theme :) I am sure your daughter had a blast!!

24. Laura
    June 10, 2012 at 8:58 pm (2 years ago)

How cake-y was the pancake cake recipe you used? I would like to have a pancake-looking cake for my daughter’s non-slumber birthday party, but I’m worried that this may not taste like cake since it uses only a small amount of cake mix.

25. Christina
    August 28, 2012 at 2:23 am (2 years ago)

Hi can you please help me with the invations where can I find those please ????

Thanks for sharing everything else

26. Alicia
    October 28, 2012 at 7:48 pm (2 years ago)

I love the birthday placemats but was not able to download for free…am I required to subscribe? Thanks!

27. Bree
    December 1, 2012 at 1:24 pm (2 years ago)

Love this party!!! I wasn’t able to download the placemats for free either. It required a membership fee. Please help!!!!

28. Nicole
    January 13, 2013 at 8:09 am (2 years ago)

Do you sell this invite?! I was looking for a different party idea for my daughters upcoming 6th birthday and this is IT!

29. Bisi
    January 27, 2013 at 10:30 pm (2 years ago)

Absolutely Brilliant! I can wait to do this party for my kids next birthday.

30. Brittanie
    January 31, 2013 at 4:02 pm (2 years ago)

Hi! Could you post your other signs, like for donuts and the coffee? This is an adorable idea! Unfortunately I have no idea how make signs of my own! Thank you!

31. Amy
    February 22, 2013 at 12:55 pm (2 years ago)

We did a breakfast pajama party for my daughter’s 6th birthday, but kept the food much simpler. Instead of serving a traditional birthday cake, we made a pancake cake, which was a dozen giant pancakes (12-inch diameter) stacked together and garnished with whipped cream, chocolate chips and strawberries. We served it with syrup, extra whipped cream and assorted fruit/melon. For an activity, each girl decorated a white pillowcase using fabric markers. This also served as their party favor. My daughter is now almost 13 & her friends still talk about the giant pancake cake when they sleep over at our house.

32. Crystle
    March 17, 2013 at 10:26 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you for sharing your ideas!! I was sad that I was unable to print your adorable place mats. It required a membership and fee to sign up. :( May I contact you another way to have the 5th birthday place mat emailed to me? Thanks so much!

• Your Hostess
      March 21, 2013 at 5:26 pm (1 year ago)

Hi Crystle, I’ll email it to you!

33. Crystle
    April 4, 2013 at 4:52 pm (1 year ago)

I hadn’t received your email with the 5th bday placemat…. I’m hoping it didn’t go into my spam folder. Would you please send it again asap? THANKS SOOOOO MUCH! My daughter’s bday is around the corner and I’m super grateful to have it. Crystle781@aol.com

• Your Hostess
      April 10, 2013 at 1:31 pm (1 year ago)

Glad you got it in time and hope the party turned out wonderfully Crystle!

34. Jamie
    April 24, 2013 at 2:46 pm (1 year ago)

Hi there!
    I would LOVE you if you could email me the 3 placemat and the Good Morning Sign and the Birthday Pancake Sign! My daughter turns 3 in May and this is our party theme!

THANKS!!!!
    Jamie

35. Sarah
    May 2, 2013 at 5:37 pm (1 year ago)

Hello,
    I was wondering if there would be anyway you could email me the “6″ placemat? Also if you are willing to part with the Good Morning sign and Birthday Pancake Sign as well? My daughter’s party is on the 11th… Pretty pretty please? I will forever be in your debt!!!!

esdart12@yahoo.com

Thanks,
    Sarah Johnson

• Your Hostess
      May 2, 2013 at 5:48 pm (1 year ago)

Hi Sarah,
      An email is coming your way. So happy you like the party :)

36. Jennifer
    June 25, 2013 at 10:20 pm (1 year ago)

Hello! I love this party theme and in fact, I party-lifted it for my twins’ 7th bday. Would you be so kind to email me the placemats with a 7? I would greatly appreciate it. Your party looked so awesome. Thanks in advance.

• Your Hostess
      July 2, 2013 at 10:52 pm (1 year ago)

Just sent! Happy party planning :)

37. Aleksandra
    June 28, 2013 at 6:19 am (1 year ago)

Hello I would love the “3″ placemat would you might emailing it to me?

• Your Hostess
      July 2, 2013 at 10:53 pm (1 year ago)

I just emailed it. Have a great party!

38. Elena
    September 8, 2013 at 8:35 pm (1 year ago)

Hi,
    Great party! Is there any way I could please get a “2″ placemat to print?
    Thanks
    Elena!

• Tori
      September 20, 2013 at 10:24 am (12 months ago)

Just sent to you!

39. Jill
    September 19, 2013 at 6:26 am (1 year ago)

This party is so fun! If you’re still sharing after all this time, I would love to use your ideas and printables.
    I would like to print any of the signs you are willing to share (even those not shown on the link, like donuts) and a 4 placemat. Also, would you be willing to share the invite, or where you purchased. I haven’t found anything nearly as cute.
    Thanks so much!
    Jill

• Tori
      September 20, 2013 at 10:34 am (12 months ago)

@Jill – just emailed you!

40. kim
    October 1, 2013 at 7:38 am (12 months ago)

Everything is soooo cute! Can you help me with the 4 year old free placemat print?

• Tori
      October 7, 2013 at 11:10 am (12 months ago)

Just emailed it Kim!

41. Kimberlee
    October 25, 2013 at 9:07 pm (11 months ago)

Tori – Can you create one a placemat for a & year old or do you have a blank one? I just tried to download on Scribd and it is making me sign up for an account and charge! Any change you can email me the Good Morning Sunshine printable and Pancake Breakfast one also? Of course I just found this and the party is tomorrow, at 8:30am PST!

Any chance you could help?

Thanks!

• Tori
      October 28, 2013 at 9:09 am (11 months ago)

Just sent!

42. kelly
    November 13, 2013 at 8:05 pm (10 months ago)

Hi,
    I am unable to download the placemats for FREE. Scribd is trying to make me pay for downloads. Can you help? Thanks so much!
    -Kelly

43. Gina
    December 31, 2013 at 9:37 am (9 months ago)

Can you email me the file for the 6th birthday placemat? I emailed you at the email address above also. Thank you!

Gina

• Tori
      January 2, 2014 at 6:16 pm (9 months ago)

Just sent it your way Gina!

44. LyndseyN
    January 16, 2014 at 1:26 pm (8 months ago)

Could you email me the “3″ placemat to lyndseyn at gmail dot com? I’m planning my son’s “pajamas and pancakes” party for the end of the month and I’m soooooo excited about this placemat!!!!

45. Autumn
    February 4, 2014 at 8:19 pm (8 months ago)

Hi! What a cute party!!! To get the birthday pancake and good morning signs do you have to have an account on scribd? I want to use those for my daughters party so I thought I would ask before I signed up.

Thanks

• Tori
      February 4, 2014 at 9:12 pm (8 months ago)

Hi Autumn! I think they have changed some of their settings. If you email me hostess@thougthfullysimple.com I would be happy to send you the files. Just let me know what number for the birthday girl.